Monday, November 5, 2007

Boy Oh Boy!



After our lovely date, Peter and I went to pick up our kids from my mom's house, where they were having lots of fun playing and hanging out with my mom and brother Johnny. As we were leaving I yelled "good night" to my brother...
Dominic: Good night Johnny.
Nonnie (my mom): Dominic, you should call him Uncle Johnny.
Dominic: Good night Uncle Johnny. Good night Uncle Nonnie.
Nonnie: Oh, but you can call me just plain Nonnie.
Dominic: Good night Just Plain Nonnie!


Dominic: Jeffer (Jennifer), where is Papa?
Me: Wait a second. You have to call me Mama!
Dominic: Well... I'm a big boy, so I can call you Jeffer!


Dominic and Peter love to wrestle, tackle, and basically rough house when Peter comes home from work! It will often start something like this...
Dominic: Papa, I wanna tackle you.
Peter: OK! I'm gonna get you!
(Tackle, roll, wrestle, etc!)
Dominic: Wait a minute, I need to get my hockey stick and tools! (Runs off)
Peter: Uh Oh!
Moral of the story is that Dominic is very enthralled with weapons. He also really likes Spider man, and will sometimes pretend to be him, at which point I will often have to remind him that Spider man does not use weapons!


My Dominic is such a boy and I love it! He is so active, energetic, and full of life! Sometimes, however, I find myself a little confused about what makes little boys tick. I was never into weapons, tackling, wrestling, etc. So it can be a challenge sometimes for me to know how to relate to him in that way. Luckily, Peter is excellent with knowing how to relate to him, and I think Dominic realizes that there are some fun things that he does with only Papa, and some fun things that he does with only Mama.
After Mass on Sunday, Dominic was playing with his cousin (also a total boy!), kicking rocks, running, shouting, throwing sticks, and just having a great time together. As we were getting ready to leave, we found Dominic at the statue of St. Joseph and baby Jesus. He was sweetly holding the baby Jesus statue in his little hands, and cuddling with it! He is such a great combination of strong and gentle. He is just amazing. I love trying to figure out what is going on in that adorable head of his!

No comments: